Reclaiming Playboy's role as a cultural provocateur
A once iconic publishing empire, Playboy needed to reclaim its rightful place as a cultural provocateur and attract new generations.
The strategy? Transform Playboy into a global lifestyle platform comprised of new ways consumers could engage with the brand - innovative content, cutting edge experiences and premium products.
1. Defined a new compass for the brand
- Created a new global brand vision based on “living life unleashed” to guide all future activities.
- Redefined Playboy’s visual world through the lens of modern heritage, taking the essentials of amazing design, illustration and photography from the DNA of the Playboy brand, and splicing newness into every aspect to create a newly elevated approach for every consumer touchpoint.
2. Relaunched social and digital to make the brand more accessible to GENY
- Enhanced the brand voice and content to present a well-rounded view of the Playboy lifestyle, adding 3 million fans to Facebook and quadrupling user engagement in just under a year.
Created Playboy for iPhone to monetize digital content for the first time and bring a constant stream of newness to the consumer.
- Re-launched ecommerce to feature contemporized product lines.
3. Rejoined the cultural conversation
In collaboration with Neville Wakefield and artist Richard Phillips, launched a roadside installation in the art world mecca of Marfa, Texas. Returned the brand to the role of cultural instigator by eliciting questions about art versus advertising and different points of view from conservative west Texas and the art literati.
4. Turbocharged Licensing
Formed designer collaborations with Cushnie et Ochs, Supreme and Freeman's Sporting Club to create news with consumers and land new relationships with licensees to launch contemporized product lines.